About This Blog

My photo
Hey all, I decided to start this blog as a way to tell people about music that doesn't really get a lot of attention but that I think really deserves it! I format my entries in the form of reviews. Hopefully, I can help point you in the direction of some great music that you wouldn't have found otherwise. I know it always makes my day when I find a new band to listen to :) Hope you enjoy! Feel free to leave comments and suggest albums for me to review. Keep in mind these are just my opinions!

Sunday, November 28, 2010

"Illuminate" by Lydia


Lydia is one of my favorite all time bands. Why? They specialize in majestic-sounding songs ripe with emotional, well-written lyrics. This is their only full-length album, as both of their other releases (one before and one after) are more like EPs. "Illuminate" is, in its simplest form, a break-up album, as it tracks the events leading up to and surrounding the break up of the narrator and his love. It's not necessarily a happy album, but it definitely has cathartic value. The album artwork also emphasizes the somewhat mournful character of the whole set. However, it's a great listen, filled with some amazing melodies that anyone can enjoy. Here we go!

1. "This is Twice Now" - This song kicks off with a dainty little piano riff, before moving into a rolling drum beat and fluid, languishing vocals. Piano stays a major player in this song that has an undercurrent of frustration. The uncertainty surrounding the narrator's relationship with a Haley (I'm not sure how it's spelled in this set of songs, so I'm gonna go with this one; sorry to all who may be offended by this spelling choice. I'm only human. :D) has him feeling sick, and it's the "second time now and you've done this before," according to the narrator. Also present near the end of this song is something that makes Lydia such a great band - the overlapping of vocal harmonies, both male and female. A strong opener to the album.

2. "A Fine Evening for a Rogue" - In my opinion, this song is a perfect post-break up song (as well as a song with one of the cooler names out there: the use of "rogue" = plus 10 cool points). The song is rolling, much like the opener, but it is hesitant as well when it reaches the chorus. Mere musical footsteps accompany the narrator as he asks repeatedly, "Don't you ever get lonely?" The first instrumental feature (with requisite build) is in this song as well. The radio noise that accompanies the build makes it a simple, beautiful end to the song.

3. "I Woke Up Near the Sea" - Easily my favorite song on the album and one of my favorite songs overall. It opens with an insanely epic guitar melody (aided by drums and strings) which comes back during the chorus. Like most of my favorite songs, for some reason, this song is sad at its core (I don't have a problem, I promise). The narrator has found out that his love is not who he thought she was. He sings out in the chorus that "It turns out you were into yourself." Instrumentals make this song a powerhouse, along with the final line of the song: "And no one ever knew."

4. "Hospital" - This song almost sounds like a continuation of the previous song (several songs on the album bleeds into the next song, making it quite the cohesive set). In my opinion, the narrator has been unwound by his experience with his love. He is in a hospital, and he encourages the lady in is life to keep watching the hospital door, but that he won't ever come out. Not one of my favorites on the album because there's not a whole lot of dynamic change happening over the course of the song, but the lyrics are compelling.

5. "Fate" - More uncertainty plagues our young narrator, as the lady of this album has truly sent him spinning. He begs his love, "Place me on your scene and I'll take everything that you ever said to me." Like the previous song, "Fate" continues the album with the same general melodic idea, as well as the same uncertainty present in the lyrics. Once again, the songs in this middle section of the album are not my favorite (though there is a great extended chorus leading to the end of the song). I think they are all part of the story that is this entire album. The narrator's stuck, wallowing in his own uncertainty, and the music reflects his focus.

6. "Sleep Well" - Our narrator turns a new leaf in "Sleep Well," as a guitar riff kicks off the song with notes of persistent hope that continue throughout the entire song. Our narrator declares, "I'll be just fine." In fact, he no longer feels any responsibility for what went wrong in his relationship, as he pointedly declares, "Darling, you fucked up." This song is the first step in this album's healing process. He's not necessarily over his love, but he's going to try to move on anyway. A beautiful female vocal feature leads into a final chorus, filled with the epic guitar chords and vocal layering of Lydia's best work.

7. "Stay Awake" - Another beautiful, emotion-packed song. The narrator needs a change of scenery: "San Francisco sounds quite lovely." But, he still loves the girl (I'm assuming it's still the Haley of the opening song): "And so I'll just wait for your call, I promise...". Yet again, there's another great instrumental feature, this time guitar, bent slightly by electronica. Several sections of this song sound as though they are coming from underwater, as if our narrator is waiting for his love to save him from drowning in loneliness.

8. "All I See" - Hesitation courses through this song, as well as regret. It would appear that the narrator has realized that both he and Haley have have changed, and he sings, "All I see, scares me." As the song rolls on, the lyrics become more and more dejected as the narrator increasingly realizes that the relationship probably can't work because, as the song ends, "You're not the same, and I'm, I'm not the same, and..."

9. "One More Day" - This song brings back some of the rolling drums that were so instrumental in the first couple of songs on the album. And with them come the frustration and grim resolution of those two songs. Our narrator is leaving, that's decided for sure, and he tells Haley (after a screaming guitar leads into the chorus), "Don't you say that I've gone crazy, because I haven't gone crazy yet." Like so many of their other songs, Lydia takes this song to the final chorus (complete with awesome vocal layering, mind you) with a great instrumental section, beginning with piano and then into increasingly confident guitar.

10. "...Ha Yeah It Got Pretty Bad" - This is a short, one minute song which essentially sends the message that he's gone, leaving Haley to think about her own situation, alone. A little bit filler-esque, but the lyrics still make it a worthwhile minute.

11. "Now the One You Once Loved is Leaving" - This song ends things in style, I've gotta say. Why? It's in the form of an argument between the narrator and Haley. First things first, the title of the song establishes the bitterness that runs throughout this entire song. It begins with female vocals, written from Haley's perspective, and proceeds to switch off between the two. Alternately mournful and angry melodies support this perspective-switching. This was one ugly breakup, and the album ends with all the pent up emotion with which it began, fading softly away into silence.

"Illuminate" has become one of my most-played albums on iTunes. The band is just solid, there's nothing complicated about it. The lead vocals don't sound like you're conventional good singing voice, but, in my opinion, that just makes the emotion of the set more raw and powerful. Unfortunately, Lydia broke up earlier this year (I felt legitimate sadness). They released a final EP called "Assailants" which is definitely strong, but not as strong as "Illuminate." It's a bummer they won't be releasing any more music, but we'll always have this.

Here's a link to their Myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/lydia

Until next time, enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment