About This Blog

My photo
Hey all, I decided to start this blog as a way to tell people about music that doesn't really get a lot of attention but that I think really deserves it! I format my entries in the form of reviews. Hopefully, I can help point you in the direction of some great music that you wouldn't have found otherwise. I know it always makes my day when I find a new band to listen to :) Hope you enjoy! Feel free to leave comments and suggest albums for me to review. Keep in mind these are just my opinions!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Top 10 Albums of 2010

I'll be frank: 2010 was the year of the single. Albums taken as a whole generally took a back seat to what happened to be the catchiest song being played to death on the radio at the time. I hope 2011 is not the same! And, to be perfectly honest, there were not an abundance of stand out albums to me. However, there were definitely enough great albums for me to come up with a list of my Top 10 Albums of 2010! Now, a note: you've definitely heard of several of these albums, but I didn't want to compromise my list and include a weaker album just because it was one you hadn't heard. Keep in mind, these are purely my opinions. I haven't posted on several of these albums, but just because the year is over doesn't mean I can't post on them tomorrow (not that I will; coming up with a ten best albums list turned out to be much more time consuming than I originally thought--don't worry though, I'm sure my finals understood.) Hope you enjoy the list!

1. "Go" by Jónsi


In my opinion, easily the best album of the year. When he's not fighting crime or making solo music, Jónsi is the frontman of Sigur Rós and member of Sigur Rós spin-off, Jónsi and Alex. This album is more accessible than the music of the other two groups, while still maintaining the magic and alternating longing and joy of their best music. "Go" is a wonderful listen; there really is no weak track, and, in a year where singles appear to have dominated the scene, it fits together as a great album to listen to in its entirety. No, I haven't posted on it, but the blog is still young! Top 3 favorite songs: "Go Do," "Grow Till Tall," and "Hengilas."

2. "Sigh No More" by Mumford & Sons (released in 2010 in everywhere but UK)

Disclaimer: this album was TECHNICALLY released in the UK in 2009, but seeing as it came out everywhere else in 2010, I'm including it in this year's list. My love of this album (and the banjo in said album) is well documented in an earlier post. The album does have a couple singles that have gotten quite a few plays ("Little Lion Man" and "The Cave"), but I think what brings this album home is all of the OTHER songs. Great lyrics, literary references, and a sense of urgency and frustration (while still maintaining hope) give this album a great pace. Oh, did I mention that banjo is prominent? Top 3 favorite songs: "The Cave," "Little Lion Man," and "Winter Winds."

3. "High Violet" by The National

I only got to this album recently. I've been a fan of The National for years, since the first time the songs of "Boxer" graced my ears. Outstanding vocals (for those of you who haven't heard the frontman's rumbling baritone, it makes the band what it is) and great melodies are TN standards. The melancholy songs are still here, but there's some punch to them. Another solid set of songs from The National. Top 3 favorite songs: "Terrible Love," "Lemonworld," and "England."

4. "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" by Kanye West

Well, I think it's safe to say Kanye's back, don't you? I don't pretend to be a big fan of rap, but I have to respect this album. Great beats, and a surprising amount of melodic complexity. Strings play a big role in this album, which features more guest stars than an awards show. The songs are all very different (some definitely better than others), and Kanye does have some honest self-reflection sprinkled in. The album plays out like it should be the main event in the music world, and--to be honest--it pretty much has been for the last couple weeks. Top 3 favorite songs: "Lost in the World," "Blame Game," and "Power."

5. "To Travels & Trunks" by Hey Marseilles

From Kanye to a band that I'd be willing to bet 90% of you have never heard of. Hey Marseilles is the dream band for a music nerd like me. The album prominently features accordion and trumpets, which I absolutely love. The lyrics are clever, with some unique ways of reassuring someone everything's going to be okay: "There's always Brazilian boys to discover." Vocals are delivered honestly, with the occasional minor pitch problems which, despite the word "problem," I like to see in an album because it assures me that autotune isn't showing too much of its ugly head. Top 3 favorite songs: "To Travels & Trunks," "Rio," and "Cities."

6. "The Wild Hunt" by The Tallest Man on Earth

The Tallest Man on Earth has probably been my most pleasant surprise of the year. I would characterize him as a Bob Dylan-type singer/songwriter who plays the guitar more nimbly and sings better. Why yes, I am saying he's better than Bob Dylan, thanks for asking! The emotion in this Swede's singing is just about tangible, and he sounds the exact same live as on recordings (= yay!). His music is simple, but this little man and his guitar are simply captivating. Top 3 favorite songs: "The Wild Hunt," "King of Spain," and "A Lion's Heart."

7. "Recovery" by Eminem

Eminem, like Kanye, returned to the hip hop scene with gusto (let's just forget the mediocrity that was "Relapse," shall we?). Eminem's furiously-delivered lyrics about life and himself are out in full force here, and the songs pump me up for homework like no others (yes, I listen to it before I do homework... problem?). Eminem also brings in some great guest performances on this album; the most popular is obviously Rihanna but I enjoyed Lil Wayne's work on "No Love" as well. Top 3 favorite songs: "Going Through Changes," "Not Afraid," and "Space Bound" (this song also happens to be the prime duet song of my roommate and I--we rock it).

8. "Young the Giant" by Young the Giant

I know many of you may think I'm biased in my love for the hometown heroes of Young the Giant, but the fact is that their debut full-length is one of the best albums of the year, and easily one of the best rock albums of the year. Their sound is refreshing thanks to their astounding variety of melodies running around throughout this album. Vocals are bluesy and are delivered with energy and outstanding range. Each song brings something different to the table, and with a couple exceptions, every single one is rock solid (no pun intended). Top 3 favorite songs: "I Got," "Strings," and "Cough Syrup."

9. "... And They Have Escaped the Weight of Darkness" by Ólafur Arnalds

Three cheers for the second of two Icelandic musician's in my top 10! Arnalds crafts the best instrumental album of the year using only a piano and stringed instruments. Why is it so good? Each song is simple, but has such deep emotion flowing under the surface that the album grabs you and doesn't let you go until the last track is over. As soon as I heard it, I declared to my empty car: "This is the most beautiful album I've ever heard." And you know what? I still believe it, several months later. Top 3 favorite songs: "o(can't type the symbol, so I put o)ú Ert Sólin," "Hægt, Kemur Ljósio", and "3055."

10. "Big Echo" by The Morning Benders

Another album that I discovered recently, "Big Echo" is pure, folksy goodness. With vocals delivered like the vocalist is as innocent as can be and with outstanding melodies and instrumentation, the album pulses with such energy that it's impossible not to be swept up for the ride. Top 3 favorite songs: "Excuses," "Cold War," and "Mason Jar."


And for the purists who think I'm committing musical heresy by including the Mumford & Sons Album even though it was released in the UK in 2009, you can mentally delete it from the list and continue on to Album #11.


11. "Take A Bow" by Greg Laswell

I've had a soft spot in my musical heart for Greg Laswell's songs since I heard "Three Flights from Alto Nido." This album maintains the same deadpan, wry wit of "Alto Nido," but ups the intensity, atmospheric instrumentation, and overall punch. Laswell can be alternately accusing, self-deprecating, and sweet (in his own way). I think he can be compared to Mat Kearney, though I enjoy his music more. Definitely a solid acoustic-ish, rock-ish, singer/songwriter-ish album. Top 3 favorite songs: "Take Everything," "Come Clean," "Goodbye." 

If you made it through all of that, congratulations and thanks for reading! I'll be posting on individual albums in a couple days, but until then explore these albums! All of them bring something different to the table, and all are amazing.  

Happy holidays and, until next time, enjoy all the music out there :)

Andrew

3 comments:

  1. Just found this blog through your post on the young the giant page. Nice picks, I especially enjoyed listening to Ólafur Arnalds. You should also check out Agnes Obel's album "Philharmonics." cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with several of your picks & will check out the others! Sigh No More was my favorite record of 2010.

    ReplyDelete