About This Blog

My photo
Hey all, I decided to start this blog as a way to tell people about music that doesn't really get a lot of attention but that I think really deserves it! I format my entries in the form of reviews. Hopefully, I can help point you in the direction of some great music that you wouldn't have found otherwise. I know it always makes my day when I find a new band to listen to :) Hope you enjoy! Feel free to leave comments and suggest albums for me to review. Keep in mind these are just my opinions!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

"Metal & Wood" by Tyrone Wells


It's time for an album made for closing your eyes and singing along as you sway to the music. "Metal and Wood" does, at times, stray into the corny. However, seeing as it's finals time here at UCLA, I feel the desire to listen to music that you can just immerse yourself in, and that's exactly what this album by Tyrone Wells is. Infectious melodies and heartfelt (if at times cliched) lyrics that are easy to sing along to, make this album a fun, relaxing listen. The album artwork says it all: an artsy, cartoonish image of a city and nature sharing the same world, splitting its proverbial heart in two. Ready your island getaway and campfire, because this album is made to be danced to on the beach. Here we go!

1. "Running Around in My Dreams" - The album starts off with immediately catchy guitar melodies that sound like they were transplanted right off of an island. It's an undeniably sweet song, focusing on the narrator's experience of love at first sight. You've probably heard the chorus of this song, which is ridiculously catchy and features some lyrics that almost any guy would love to use: "I'm as sure as a boy could be, you are the girl that's been running around in my dreams." Probably my favorite song on the album, it's just plain addicting.

2. "Metal & Wood" - In this song, Tyrone has a message, several actually. He sees issues with the way the world operates, and croons about how they can be fixed. The lyrics border on corny at times: "Take all the metal and wood used in the waging of war, and teach the men that make those weapons to build shelter for the poor." Yes, it would appear to belong as a promo for an inspirational speech, but Wells delivers the lyrics honestly and with skillfully-played guitar, so I didn't dock him many points. There are certainly less constructive lyrics out there.

3. "And the Birds Sing" - This song is just plain happy. Couldn't you tell by the title? A singing bird is an almost exclusively happy image (except for maybe a nightingale, but I'm not here to debate bird emotions). Wells sings of the sun shining on people of all different creeds, from poor and rich men to preachers and atheists. The birds proceed to sing: "doo-doo-doo...." No, the lyrics aren't groundbreaking, but you can't help but smile when Wells sings the song (complete with vocal harmonies), and isn't that part of the reason we listen to music.

4. "All I'm Thinking Of" - One of the album's love songs. A simple, sweet, profession of his unconditional love for a lovely lady. Still, there's genuine emotion to this song. The chorus, which begins with, "I am on your side," cuts right to the hopes that many people harbor for their future relationships. The song is one of the most intimate-sounding on the album; it's almost as if Wells is singing from below someone's window. Also of note is that Wells includes a melody change during the song, something that I always like to hear.

5. "Happy As the Sun" - Another song made up of pure, unadulterated happiness. This is another love song, but it flows with more of a youthful joy and infatuation than mature feelings. The guitar melody feels a little similar to "Running Around in My Dreams" in it's island, campfire-esque atmosphere. He's "happy as the sun, lighter than a feather, walking on the clouds when [they] are together." Like many of the other songs on the album, the chorus is super catchy and it brings a smile to my face. Success.

6. "Give Me One Reason (featuring Jason Reeves)" - Wells switches up the emotions with this song. A relationship is in turmoil, it would seem. However, the narrator is looking for his love to give him a reason, just one reason, to either stay or leave. It would seem that he will do whatever makes her happiest; he'll be okay either way, in the end. Wells delivers the lyrics perfectly, at the same time brimming with hope and sadness; probably one of the most emotional song on the album and definitely one of my favorites. Vocal harmonies with Jason Reeves are also spot on, and take the song to a whole other level. A solid song.

7. "Let Go" - This song explores yet another theme that many of us would rather not address, but it's always there: the fragility and seemingly lightning-quick process of life. The narrator sings of how aging is the act of stepping ever more into the uncertainty of what life will bring, and when it will end. Wells sings in the chorus: "It's hard to see you go, cause you mean everything to me.... it's time, you're leaving now. Your hands are cold as I kiss your brow, and I will try, but I don't know how, to let go..." The saddest song on the album, easily the most emotional, and one of my favorites.

8. "Time of Our Lives" - Another emotional juggernaut. Wells really surprised me with this last half of the album, going from frivolous songs to ones that cut straight to the heart. The narrator is saying goodbye to someone he once loved. He knows that things will never be the same, but he sings that, "if it has to end, I'm glad you have been my friend in the time of our lives." Powerful lyrics + sung with the heart = a strong, strong song.

9. "Use Somebody" - This cover of the Kings of Leon's hit spins the song in a new direction: one filled with longing. Wells specializes that pumping emotion into his voice, and he does it to perfection with this song, also adding some new guitar elements that add to the song, while still keeping the iconic guitar solo intact for the most part. It's a much more intimate version of the KoL song. To be honest, I prefer this version hands down. Like so many other songs on this album, it makes you want to just close your eyes and float away into the music.

10. "Pull Me Through" - The "biggest" song on the album, as Wells eschews the acoustic guitar in favor of electric guitars, chimes, bass, drums: overall, a more complete band feel. The narrator sings of needing someone to see him through troubling times. Though the song is well-executed, it doesn't quite fit with the feel of the rest of the album, and I found myself missing the simple, catchy acoustic guitar.

Yes, Tyrone Wells walks the line between corny and genuine. However, in my opinion, he does it well and creates a set of songs that come off as honest and that really affect the listener. I know they always get to me, at least. When things aren't going so well, put this album on and I guarantee you you'll come out the other side with a smile on your face in spite of yourself.

Here's a link to his Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/tyronewells

Until next time, enjoy :)

P.S. I'm going to try to get another post up between now and next Wednesday (when I'm done with finals) but I can't be 100% sure. So, in the meantime, feel free to read my other posts, tell your friends, and feel free to suggest albums to me on the Facebook page for this site!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Great-Music-You-Havent-Heard/157409857629889

No comments:

Post a Comment