About This Blog

My photo
Hey all, I decided to start this blog as a way to tell people about music that doesn't really get a lot of attention but that I think really deserves it! I format my entries in the form of reviews. Hopefully, I can help point you in the direction of some great music that you wouldn't have found otherwise. I know it always makes my day when I find a new band to listen to :) Hope you enjoy! Feel free to leave comments and suggest albums for me to review. Keep in mind these are just my opinions!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Best Albums of December 2010

A note before I start this little ditty. To give myself another opportunity to get posts out more regularly, I'm going to try out a new series. In that series, I will look back at each month and give a quick preview of the three albums I think look the most promising and enjoyable. Now, I can't possibly listen to all of these (I am a college student, after all; I don't have that kind of money), however, I browse iTunes more than is healthy, and you can bet I've listened to an unearthly amount of previews of these songs, as well as reading up on reviews and listening to what I can through Myspace.

That being said, December probably isn't the best month to start this series--after all, it is the month of the Christmas EPs... blech. Still, I'm nothing if not persistent, so here are three albums I think have the potential to be great listens for anyone looking to fulfill an immediate music fix. Here we go!

1. "Tron Score" by Daft Punk



Yes, my most promising album of the month is an orchestral, but oh my is it an orchestral score. One word sums it up: epic. Daft Punk works in great electronics (not necessarily much that could be songs on their own, but definitely things that accent the other music here) with an orchestra that belts out all the majestic chord sequences that make a movie score great. Need something to make packing up to go back to school less boring? Put this on, you'll feel like you're saving the world, one mismatched pair of socks at a time.

2. "All You Need is Now" by Duran Duran

Eighties power pop is the guilty pleasure of a massive amount of music listeners. Hey, don't stop believin' that's true, because any way you want your other music, the eighties faithfully spew out extremely catchy music (ten bonus points to those of you who caught the three Journey references in there). This album sounds like it's going to be immensely catchy, an example of amazing eighties pop alive and well in the 21st century.

3. "In Darkness & In Light" by The Maine


The Maine is an alternative band near and dear to my heart. I've been listening to their "Can't Stop, Won't Stop" for years. The songs are catchy and uplifting and, despite the appearance of a typical alternative rock band, they pulse with a definite heartbeat. This album appears to be a B-Side album, something I always love to see from a band, because a B-Side album basically says, "Fans, this is for you; we know you'll appreciate it." And, I think we definitely will. On another note, the album cover is just plain awesome. Does that make me easily amused? ... Perhaps, but for Pete's sake it's like the clasp on an old notebook!

I hope that a couple (or hey, maybe all) of these albums give you an hour or two of enjoyable new music to get you through the month. I'm not a fan of December in the music world--to be completely honest, I'm a definite non-fan of holiday EPs. Give me Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole for my Christmas classics, thank you. In any case, next month looks to be a great month for new music, so keep checking back in for new album reviews and the next installment of this series at the end of next month!

Thanks for reading and, as always, enjoy all the music out there!

Happy New Year :)

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment