About This Blog

My photo
Hey all, I decided to start this blog as a way to tell people about music that doesn't really get a lot of attention but that I think really deserves it! I format my entries in the form of reviews. Hopefully, I can help point you in the direction of some great music that you wouldn't have found otherwise. I know it always makes my day when I find a new band to listen to :) Hope you enjoy! Feel free to leave comments and suggest albums for me to review. Keep in mind these are just my opinions!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

"The Wild Hunt" by The Tallest Man on Earth


Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas (if that's your holiday). Needless to say, one of my gifts was some money for iTunes, and the first album I downloaded was this one right here. "The Wild Hunt" is The Tallest Man on Earth's most recent full length album. It's spectacular.

Kristian Matsson goes through most of this album using just a nimbly plucked and strummed acoustic guitar, combined with his raw, extraordinarily emotional vocals. However, the final two tracks on the CD are just him and a piano; it makes for a haunting combination. The comparisons of him and Bob Dylan are there for a reason. I personally think he's much better--his guitar work is on another level and his voice is more melodious.

In addition to instrumentation, Matsson's lyrical work is outstanding. Most of the songs on the album are self-reflective: some are happy, some are sad, and many are sung with a wry wit that makes each and every track an absolute joy to listen to.

If I were to describe the music of The Tallest Man on Earth in one word, it would be "captivating." Matsson is just one guy with an acoustic guitar, but he holds your attention throughout the entire album. I've also heard live performances, and his music is just as mesmerizing.

My three favorite songs on the album are "The Wild Hunt," "King of Spain," and "A Lion's Heart."

All in all, this album is the perfect driving album. This Swedish singer/songwriter makes everything on the CD so easy, blending blues and folk. For those who are looking for a great introduction to the world of folk, a la Bob Dylan, The Tallest Man on Earth is your go-to guy. His voice takes some getting used to at first, that's for sure, but once you make the adjustment, I guarantee you that his music will establish itself as one of the most satisfying albums in your library.

Here's a link to his Myspace!

http://www.myspace.com/thetallestmanonearth

As always, enjoy the music that's out there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment